The vibrant and inviting city of Stamford, Connecticut, is one of the largest towns near Greenwich, CT, and is an up-and-coming city on the outskirts of New York City. The bustling downtown area features tons of attractions for visitors and locals, with more than 80 renowned restaurants, hundreds of stores and galleries, and a variety of live entertainment venues and theaters. Plus, it’s just a short 15-minute drive from the Stanton House Inn, a Greenwich inn! Here are some of our favorite activities in Stamford, CT.
Things To Do in Stamford, CT This Weekend
- Stamford Museum & Nature Center: This 118-acre property is home to a working farm, museum and gallery, interactive nature center, planetarium, observatory, playground, and tons of outdoor trails. The museum also offers exhibits and weekend festivals that showcase the natural history of New England and are fun for the entire family.
- Cove Island Park: For a fun day of outdoor recreation at one of the top parks in Stamford, Cove Island park offers a variety of hiking and biking trails, a children’s play area, and expansive lawns for kite-flying. Feel free to explore the park’s two sandy beaches, or go fishing along the rocky shoreline. A small bluff offers an excellent view of the Long Island Sound and is a great place to relax and take in the sights.
- First Presbyterian Church: Nicknamed the “Fish Church” for its unusual shape, this place of worship in Stamford was designed by architect Wallace K. Harrison and is a breathtaking architectural landmark. Guests can admire an interior that is made of 20,000 pieces of glass in 86 different colors, and can walk outside to view the skyscraping tower that is installed with 56 bells.
- The Palace Theatre: For fabulous nightlife in Stamford, CT, head to the Palace Theatre. Since 1927, this venue has been providing locals and visitors with some of the best arts and entertainment and is the perfect place to go for a romantic date night or a fun evening out with the kids.
- Fernando Luis Alvarez Gallery: Fernando Luis Alvarez is a Colombian-American painter who was born in Greenwich, CT. He opened this gallery in 2009 with the hopes of growing the careers of emerging artists’ as well as enriching the Stamford community. Guests can spend the day perusing the gallery and viewing fascinating exhibitions or attending informative programs.
- Cummings Park: Cummings Park in Stamford, CT is a 79-acre haven for outdoorsy types. Guests can stroll the beach, boardwalk, and fishing pier, or enjoy a competitive game of tennis, basketball, or softball in one of the park’s many recreational areas. When you get hungry, head to the snack bar and enjoy a scrumptious treat in the fresh New England air at what is the best of the Stamford public parks.
- Stamford Restaurants: Foodies, get your forks ready! From authentic Greek eateries to popular pizza spots, there are countless restaurants in Stamford, CT, that will make your tastebuds sing. Options in Stamford range from casual dining to four-star fare to waterfront dining.
- Alive @ Five in Stamford: This has grown quickly for the local memory from a two-bit Thursday afternoon event to a pretty big deal, and certainly one of the biggest events in Stamford, Connecticut, of the year. Artists, which seem to get more and more famous with the passing years, come to perform Thursday evening at Columbus Park, accompanied by food and drink specials from the local restaurants.
- Avon Theatre in Stamford: While every spot in America can boast one of those huge, multi-screen cineplexes with about as much character as your local McDonalds, not every area has its own film center. The Avon Theatre offers big-ticket films as well as artistic independent films.
Plan Your Visit to Stamford and the Stanton House Inn!
After spending a lovely afternoon or exciting evening in Stamford, head back to our Greenwich bed and breakfast and put your feet up in a quiet, private atmosphere. Located on the coast of Long Island Sound, Greenwich also offers a wide array of fun activities, attractions, and events for visitors that are just waiting to be explored. We can’t wait to hear all about your adventures exploring the various Stamford attractions and things to do in Greenwich!