Each year in May, visitors flock to Greenwich, Connecticut, to view the works of over 120 artists at the annual Art-to-the-Avenue festival. During this unique event, Greenwich Avenue turns into a strolling gallery complete with musicians, street performers, and beautiful works of art for sale. The Avenue is a quick 5-minute drive from the Stanton House Inn, and the many Greenwich art galleries that line the street are just waiting to be explored! Here are some of our favorites.
Spend an Afternoon at These Greenwich Art Galleries
1. Samuel Owen Gallery: This contemporary gallery opened in 2004 and exhibits the work of both emerging and established artists. Samuel Owen Galley first started as an expansion of Pacific Street Framing and offers an array of handcrafted frames from around the world. With hand-painted, hand carved, leather and gold leaf moldings available, their experienced staff will help you match a custom frame to your new piece of art.
2. C. Parker Gallery: With an impressive array of original works created by distinguished artists, C. Parker Gallery has something for everyone. The gallery’s collection ranges from 19th-century masters to rising stars, and the pieces represent both traditional impressionists and popular contemporary artists. If you’re a collector, their knowledgeable concierge service will help you find the perfect piece to bring home with you.
3. The Flinn Gallery: The Flinn Gallery is a non-profit exhibition space that attracts over 11,000 visitors each year. The gallery presents art in all mediums from a wide range of periods, and much of the artwork in each exhibition is for sale. Commissions from pieces sold help to support the programs of the Friends of Greenwich Library.
4. Taylor and Graham: Created by Abby M. Taylor and Cameron M. Shay, Taylor | Graham Gallery specializes in American and European art from the 19th century to the present, with a concentration in sculpture. The gallery offers contemporary exhibitions in a wide range of periods, movements, and mediums, and also features shorter pop-up exhibitions that are curated spontaneously.
5. Cavalier Galleries: Cavalier Galleries offers an unparalleled selection of contemporary fine art at exhibition spaces in Greenwich, Nantucket, and New York. The galleries present works from both local and international artists and offer a wide variety of paintings, sculptures, and photographs by emerging young talents. Their Greenwich gallery is located on the Avenue and is open daily.
6. The Greenwich Arts Society: On the second floor of the Senior/Arts Center, the Greenwich Arts Society School of Visual Art has a gallery that showcases the works of members, faculty, students, and other artists. They also present annual exhibitions in the Bendheim Gallery of the Greenwich Arts Council, the Flinn Gallery, and the Gertrude White Gallery.
Book Your Stay at the Stanton House Inn!
After a busy day exploring some of the best Greenwich art galleries, head back to our bed and breakfast where you can treat yourself to total comfort and luxury! Situated on Maple Avenue, our inn offers beautiful rooms and suites that are just minutes from all of the galleries, shops, restaurants, and museums in town. We can’t wait to hear about what you discover in Greenwich!