For over 100 years, Christ Church of Greenwich CT has not only been a landmark for area residents and visitors but has also been an integral part of Greenwich community life. Since its establishment as a parish in 1749, the church has worked to encourage learning, excellence, and creativity, and has become a spiritual home for many people. The beautiful buildings and grounds of Christ Church’s historic ten-acre campus serve as wonderful venues for the regular Episcopal church service, special events, meetings, concerts, and community support groups, and a variety of annual philanthropic events showcase their commitment to service. Christ Church of Greenwich CT is not just a site for worship in the Putnam Hill Historic District – it’s a fascinating place to visit during your next trip to New England.
1. The Renowned Christ Church Greenwich Choir
Since way back in 1934, the Choirs of Christ Church in Greenwich CT have given hundreds of girls and boys a new appreciation for music and a safe place for friendships and fun. The church provides education in vocal techniques and music theory, so no previous musical experience is necessary – all are welcome to join in and sing along! Choir programs include:
- St. Nicholas Choir: boys and girls in pre-k through second grade
- Choir of Men & Boys: boys from 2nd through 8th grade, professionals, and auditioned volunteers
- St. Cecilia Choir of Girls: girls from 3rd grade through high school
- Christ Church Singers: a mix of auditioned adults, teens, and professionals
- Compline Choir: comprised of talented and generous volunteers
- Bell Choir: a group of individuals that perform to the highest standards of musicality
In addition to singing at various services and special events (including Christ Church Evensong), both the boy and girl choirs travel to England every other summer to perform at incredible venues, including York Minister, Coventry Cathedral, and Westminster Abbey. Their immense talent and spirit has touched others internationally!
2. The Educational Christ Church Greenwich Bookstore
The Christ Church Bookstore is open every day Tuesday through Friday from 10 AM to 5 PM and Sundays from 10 AM to 1 PM and is the best place for ecumenical books and gifts in Greenwich. Their newly renovated mezzanine space is perfect for meetings, film viewings, poetry readings, and other special events. Featuring a lovely patio garden and welcoming spaces with comfortable furniture, the Christ Church Greenwich Bookstore also boasts a coffee bar. Additionally, the bookstore is offering a 20% discount on customized Caspari cards from now until October 31st, so be sure to check it out and get a head start on your Christmas cards!
In the Lower Hallway just off of the bookstore, you can walk through the Christ Church Greenwich CT timeline – reliving 300 years of Anglican worship, community service and support, and many milestones of the greater Greenwich Community.
In the Rector’s Gallery located adjacent to the Church you can view the Samuel Seabury’s prayer book and Bible, the original door from Horseneck Chapel – the first site for Anglican worship in Greenwich, and many more relics pertinent to the history of Anglicanism in colonial times.
3. Annual Events at Christ Church of Greenwich CT
Christ Church of Greenwich CT proudly partners with multiple organizations to give back to those in need. By participating in activities and events within the community, members of the church build meaningful relationships while helping those who need it most. Annual events include:
- Crop Walk: Participants from different faith communities and organizations around town come together to beat hunger one step at a time. The annual crop walk raises money and awareness about hunger, both globally and locally.
- Midnight Run: Each year, the Church helps collect men’s clothing and shoes, winter jackets, blankets, backpacks, and toiletries to distribute to the homeless living in the streets of New York City during Midnight Runs. The runs leave the church around 9:00 PM and return at 2:00 AM, stopping at four to five locations to offer supplies to the needy.
- Neighbor to Neighbor of Greenwich, CT: This organization operates right out of the Church Annex and Parish House providing clothing, food, and basic living essentials to those in need. Each Sunday, Neighbor to Neighbor accepts generous donations of non-perishable food placed in their red wagons, which are located in the church.
- Christ Church Nursery School of Greenwich, CT: This Greenwich nursery school is fantastic and well-established. A few of our own kids of the team at the Stanton House Inn have matriculated through this program!
Stay at the Stanton House Inn!
A visit to Christ Church of Greenwich CT and any of the other churches in Greenwich will leave you feeling connected to the history and people of our town, and so will staying at the Stanton House Inn! Our luxurious bed & breakfast has stunning rooms and wonderful accommodations that will make you feel at home from the moment you arrive. For more information on what to do in Greenwich CT, download our free vacation guide.
Photo Credit: Reading Tom | Flickr